Monday, September 23, 2019

9/23/2019. Zurich

9/23/2019 Day 1 in Zurich

The phone says 17,629 steps, 7.1 miles and one flight climbed.

I had a busy day.  I visited the Visitor Center and scheduled a 2-hour walking tour for 3:00 and also did a 1.5 hour boat ride at 5:40.  A bus tour is scheduled tomorrow at 10:00 and I planned to go to the Swiss Museum.

I stopped at the train station and was looking at the train schedule.  I couldn’t find a train to Lucerne.  I asked a man if he understood this schedule.  He was very helpful finding me three options to Lucerne and pointing out the two platforms the Lucerne trains use.  We visited a bit.  He is from Germany and has relatives in Raleigh.  I went  over to the ticket machine where an employee was helping a young man.  Observing their exchange and talking with that employee, I feel ready for my train trip to Lucerne on Wednesday.  The tram I use to go to downtown Zurich ends right across from the platforms I need for the trip to Lucerne. Perfect!

With my free time before the walking tour, I followed the advice of the man at the Visitor Center and took Tram Six toward the Zoo.  I got off at the university and actually found the scenic overlook of the city, but I confess it was an accident.  I went further up the line and thought I was going into a park, but it was the most beautiful cemetery I’ve ever seen.  

.  
After the university, at the end of the tram line was the zoo.  I never got to the zoo as I stopped in what I thought was a park, but it was an amazing cemetery.  The flowers and the markers were incredible.  Different sections had all the markers decorated with the same flowers. I felt like I was passing through neighborhoods in the cemetery. 




Swiss Cheese?


Steeple is Fraumunster Church near the Limmat River in Old Town Zurich
Lake Zurich

Along the walking tour by the Limmat River

Lake Zurich

Limmat River with Grossmunster steeples in the background.

College campus building - I stopped in often as bathrooms were free instead of paying $2. downtown.  

View from the college overlook.  


Lake Zurich

Passed paddle boarders on Lake Zurich as I was on my boat tour.

Candy!  Passed factory on Lake Zurich boat tour.

Old Town - on walking tour along the Limmat River.

Train Station - where the walking tour started.  

Grossmunster believed original commissioner was Charlemagne.  

One of the stops along Lake Zurich on the boat tour.

On the lake in Zurich




No comments:

Post a Comment