Thursday, September 26, 2019

9/26/2019. Lucerne Part 2

9/26/2019  Lucerne, Switzerland Day 2 Trip total Day 31

The phone says 16,479 steps, 6.8 miles and 3 fights climbed.

I am disappointed again in this hotel’s WiFi.  I had a post draft started and I added today’s information. When I tried to post it without pictures,  it became lost in cyberspace.  I thought the pictures were the problem, but not so.  It seems if the internet drops during posting, the post is gone.  This hotel it really expensive and quite nice, but the WiFi is not reliable.

  

I had an excellent day.  Good ninety minute walking tour with a local guide.  On our tour, we stopped into an amazing church.  The Jesuits agreed to come to Lucerne to build a college (1557) and a church (1667) so Catholic children could be educated in their own school.  The result is an amazingly bright and beautiful Baroque-style church.  It was cleaned and refurbished three years ago.

Lucerne is known for its medieval architecture and we explored Lucerne's Old Town.  Saw many elaborately decorated buildings, with frescoes including Pfistern Guildhouse (Kornmarkt 4, Lucerne), the Hotel des Balances (Weinmarkt, Lucerne), the Restaurant Fritschi (Sternplatz 5, Lucerne), Mullersche Apotheke, Weinmarkt Fountain, etc.  After my tour, I wandered about for a while looking for a fondue restaurant and ended up having a hot chocolate on the waterfront. 

Stopped by Lion of Lucerne/Dying Lion of Lucerne (1820-21) which is a rock relief memorial to the hundreds of Swiss mercenaries that were killed in 1792 while fighting for King Louis XVI during the French Revolution.  They were trying to protect the Tuileries Alsace in Paris during the French Revolution.   The dying lion was carved into a rock at the park near Lowenplatz.


Later in the day, I stopped at the Visitor’s Center.  After some discussion of options with the representative,  I went on an amazingly scenic train ride (31.60 CHF) to a little town, Lungern, about an hour away.  I cannot believe I am experiencing the scenes similar to Heidi, Sound of Music (I know-Austria) and any other movies set in Switzerland.  It was breathtaking!   I wanted to pinch myself.  What a country!
Glory of Saint Francis Xavier in Jesuit Church  



Jesuit Church





Lucerne is known for its medieval architecture and is located between the mountains and a lake.  It has a fairytale appearance.  Explore Lucerne's Old Town.  You will find elaborately decorated buildings, especially notice the frescoes.  Look for Pfistern Guildhouse (Kornmarkt 4, Lucerne), the Hotel des Balances (Weinmarkt, Lucerne, the Restaurant Fritschi (Sternplatz 5, Lucerne and check out St. Peter's Chapel on the Kapellplatz.  There are trolleybuses and motor buses to get around the city.  I saw these buildings with the local guide.  
Picturesque murals on buildings in Lucerne tell the history.
Hotel des Balances/former guild hall

Eduard Rengglis' 1928 painting of biblical Feast of Canaan

Center  Mullersche Apotheke, "Love sickness knows no cure"

 Mullersche Apotheke, "Love sickness knows no cure"
Weinmarkt Fountain, sculpted by Leopold Hafliger.  Fountain has evolved since 1481  


Pfistern Zunfthausrestaurant, Guild house of bakers, millers and sailors.  Lovely restaurant today.


Mail delivery

Town Hall

Lion Monument/ Swiss Guards massacre 1792
Famous, protected, mournful, moving.  
Lion of Lucerne/Dying Lion of Lucerne is a memorial to the hundreds of Swiss mercenaries that were killed in 1792 while fighting for King Louis XVI during the French Revolution.  They were trying to protect the Tuileries Alsace in Paris during the French Revolution.   The dying lion was carved into a rock at the park near Lowenplatz.  Saw this with local guide.  
Glacier Garden has glacial potholes that have been traced back to the Ice Age.  Gletschergarten Luzern, Denkmalstrasse.


We went with our local guide for a 90 minute walking tour.  It was worthwhile.  I wandered about for a while looking for a fondue restaurant and ended up having a hot chocolate on the waterfront.  I came back to my hotel room and picked up a sandwich and headed to the Visitor’s Center.  I was going to do my own tour similar to Best of Switzerland, but the woman at the counter showed me a view from the camera and suggested I do something else.  It was fogged in.   I looked through my notes and asked for information about a couple options in town.  The girl suggested a museum, but I didn’t come here to spend time in a museum.  She then suggested I take a train to a quaint town called, Lungern.  I went to the train station and couldn’t figure out the schedule so I asked for help.  An employee showed me which train I wanted on the schedule and helped me buy my ticket for 31.60 CHF.  
I saw chalets dotting the mountainsides for miles on my train ride, Lucerne to Lungern.




I only rode to Lungern, after the fact I wish I had ridden the whole way to Interlaken.

The lake is this color because of the minerals from the Alps.

Pretty Lungern House


Love the chalets.
The discs in the picture completely cover the house below.  How'd they do that?


This is the front of my train winding it's way back to Lucerne.  

No comments:

Post a Comment