Monday, January 30, 2023

Monday, January 30, 2023 Peru cancelled/Pictures on board, Level 10

 Today we were supposed to be cruising the Pacific, but due to the unrest in Peru our schedule has changed.  Instead,  we are in Guayaquil, Ecuador.  This is not a safe place according to the website whatsinport.com.  I am choosing to stay on board today and tomorrow as we will be here overnight.

I was excited to go to Peru, but not so much to be here in Guayaquil, Ecuador.  I was planning to visit Pizarro which was founded in 1534 and visit a pair of immense adobe temples built by the Mochica civilization a dozen centuries earlier. Along the south bank of the Moche River, the two monumental “huaca” temples stand in the desert, built between 1 and 650 AD. The smaller of the two terraced pyramids, the Temple of the Moon, is built of some fifty million hand-made adobe bricks. I'm sorry I missed the adjacent Temple of the Sun which is the largest mud-brick structure in all the Americas – nearly four football fields long by two wide. I had a tour scheduled in Lima to visit a UNESCO site, Lima's Old City.  I was even more excited to fly over the Nazca Lines which were created 1,500 years ago and are spread over a 200-square-mile plateau.  They are giant drawings of animals, humans and geometric forms that were cut into the stony desert floor and are only visible from the sky.  I recently read that they had discovered more Nazca lines.  

So, I walked this morning, had breakfast and spent time deleting pictures which I can do for days...  I do find my time on the ship to be very relaxing.  There are a variety of spaces to sit.  I am sitting in the Horizon's Lounge (Level 10) which is a quiet place to sit with spa-like music playing at this time.  I have also come here after walking and looked out the front of the ship while I drink a cup of coffee.  At 4:00, tea will be served.  Later tonight, it will be Happy Hour (10:30-11:30) and the band plays.  I haven't been able to stay up that late.  At 11:30, a DJ takes over.  

It is relaxing to sit in a shady spot by the pool.  There is a library on this top level, which has lovely furniture and I will try sitting there someday soon.  

The picture above is the Artists' Corner.  I have not been there and don't really know about it.  It is in the corner of Horizon's.
Welcome to the library, I haven't gone there to read yet.  
It's 4:00 Tea Time in Horizon's and the Quadrivium Quartet plays classical music during tea.  
This is another angle of the library on Level 10.

Here are the goodies on the Tea Cart.  I always get a scone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment